Imagine the frustration of not being able to access your Instagram account because it has been hacked. With the rise of cybercrime all over the globe, many Instagram users have fallen victim to hacking and have completely lost access to their accounts.
As an Instagram user, you are probably wondering if your account is safe from hackers. Well, don’t worry, there are several measures you can implement to ensure that your Instagram account is safe from hacking.
To protect and secure your Instagram account from hacking:
Create a Secure Password
Most people use very predictable passwords that would be easy for hackers to crack. To protect your account from potential intruders, change your password to a unique and strong one. A strong password has a minimum of 8 characters and has a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
Enable Two-Step Authentication
Instagram has a new security feature known as Two-Step Authentication that adds an extra level of security on your Instagram account. Once you activate it, the two-step authentication feature sends a code to your phone every time you try logging in into your account. You have to input the sent code on the Instagram login page to gain access to your account. Hackers trying to access your account will be locked out because they will not receive the authentication code.
To enable two-step authentication on your Instagram account:
- Log in to your Instagram account and tap the profile icon on the bottom right of the screen
- On the Profile page, click the Settings button on the top left of the screen
- Tap on Privacy and Security
- Scroll down to Two Factor Authentication, tap on the edit button
- Choose the Use Text Message option to get codes via text or the Authentication App to get codes via an authentication app
Revoke Access to Suspicious Third-Party Apps
Instagram allows some apps to gain access to your account to offer additional features. If you add an app and you become suspicious of it, you can stop the apps from further having access to your account.
To revoke access to third-party apps:
- Navigate to Settings on your Instagram Account
- Tap on Authorized Apps. You’ll see a list of apps that have been authorized to access Instagram.
- Click on the “Revoke Access” button for any app that you want to unauthorize, and then select “Yes.”
Instagram is a social networking app specifically designed for publishing and sharing photos via the phone. The app also lets you share photos instantly with Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr and Foursquare, check friend’s photos, apply filters, custom borders and Tilt-Shift blur effects, comment and enjoy your friends’ photos.