In February this year, a new WhatsApp authentication feature was included in the beta version of the app. The authentication feature allows users to use their phone’s fingerprint sensor to unlock WhatsApp messenger on their phone. The fingerprint unlock feature is only available for beta users and has not yet been rolled out for the general version of the app.
To use the feature, you are required to download the latest WhatsApp beta version and install it on your phone. With the fingerprint unlock feature, you will be required to scan your fingerprint every time you open WhatsApp on your phone.
The fingerprint unlock feature aims at providing extra security to your WhatsApp messenger app as no one will access you WhatsApp app without your authorization. The feature also allows you to set the period that the app stays unlocked once you have opened it.
To enable the fingerprint unlock feature in WhatsApp:
- Open the WhatsApp beta app on your phone
- Tap the three vertical dots that appear on the right side of the screen on the CHATS tab
- On the pop-up menu that appears, tap Settings
- Tap Account on the Settings menu
- On the Account menu that appears, tap Privacy
- Scroll through the Privacy menu to find the Fingerprint unlock option. Tap the toggle button to turn it on.
- The fingerprint feature will be enabled automatically.