WhatsApp Improves Storage Management: This Is How It Works
As a regular WhatsApp user, you will receive a lot of media files from individual contacts and groups. If you do not manage the storage space in your device properly, you will end up filling your device’s internal storage fast.
Normally, WhatsApp allows you to delete media files from group or individual chats. This process is however slow if you have a lot of media files that you wish to delete. To help users with storage management, WhatsApp has announced the release of a new storage management tool into its newest version. The new feature will allow users to identify, manage, and delete bulk files on WhatsApp.
Large files and media files that have been forwarded severally will be grouped by the new tool. This will help users to easily identify that they may not need anymore. The unwanted media files can then be deleted together easily. Before deleting any of your media files on WhatsApp, it is important to back up all your data to avoid any unnecessary loss.
The new storage management tool is an upgrade of the current storage usage feature that shows you the amount of space taken up by your chats and lets you delete the available categories. Although this feature has been helpful, it does not allow you to browse through media files before deleting them.
The new tool is slowly being rolled out and will be available to every WhatsApp soon. To access the new storage management tool on WhatsApp:
- Find and install the latest version of the WhatsApp app
- Launch the app by tapping on its icon
- While on the CHATS tab, tap the three vertical dots on the top right side of the screen
- On the pop-up menu that appears, tap the Settings option
- Under the Settings menu, tap the Storage and data option
- On the page that appears, tap Storage Manager
- The new storage management page will appear.