With over 2 billion users globally, WhatsApp remains as one of the commonly used messaging apps. Most WhatsApp users are genuine and continue to use WhatsApp in an ethical way. Some users, however, are spammers and end up sending unnecessary and annoying messages to other users.
Are you are a victim of spam messages? Do you constantly receive messages containing links and advertisements that fill up your phone with notifications? If so, you don’t have to worry anymore as WhatsApp provides a platform for you to report spam contacts.
WhatsApp allows you to report contacts that have violated the terms and conditions. In the process of reporting the spam contacts, you can also block them to prevent them from further sending you any messages.
How to Report a Contact in WhatsApp
To report a contact in WhatsApp:
- Launch the WhatsApp app by tapping on its icon
- While on the CHATS tab, scroll to find the chat that you wish to report. Tap on the chat to open it
- Within the conversation, tap the three vertical dots that appear on the top right side of the screen
- On the pop-up menu that appears, tap “More”
- Another pop-up menu will appear. Tap the “Report” option
- A confirmatory message will appear at the center of the screen. If you only wish to report the contact without having to block them, uncheck the checkbox within the message box and tap the “REPORT” button.
- If you wish to report and also block the contact and deleting the existing conversation, ensure the checkbox is checked before tapping the “REPORT” button.
- A report will be automatically sent to WhatsApp.
Alternatively, you can report a contact using the block function on WhatsApp.
To do this:
- Navigate to the CHATS tab and tap on the contact that you wish to report
- When the conversation opens, tap the three vertical dots on the top right side of the screen
- On the pop-up menu that appears, tap on “More”
- On the next pop-up menu that appears, tap “Block”
A message box will appear at the center of the screen with two options:
- REPORT AND BLOCK: you will block the user and send a report to WhatsApp
- BLOCK: you will only block the contact from sending you messages without reporting them