Since Instagram is a social platform, you will need to find and connect with other people for you to enjoy the app. The most common way to search for people on social media platforms, including Instagram is through their usernames or official names.
However, some of your friends do not use their official names on Instagram and you may also not know their usernames. An alternative way to find people on Instagram is through their phone numbers. Unknown to many, you can use the contact list on your Android device to connect with people on Instagram.
This piece describes how you can find someone on Instagram using their phone number.
Method 1: Using the “Discover people” Option
This method only works if the people you wish to find have added their phone numbers to their Instagram accounts.
To find someone on Instagram using the Discover people option:
- Launch the Instagram app by tapping on its icon
- Tap the profile icon on the bottom right side of the home screen
- On the profile page that appears, tap the three horizontal bars on the top side of the screen
- On the pop-up menu that appears, tap on “Discover people”
- Tap the Connect Contact button. If it’s the first time you are using this feature, Instagram will request access to your contacts. Tap “Allow” to continue
- Instagram will now automatically sync with the phone numbers from your contact list. All Instagram accounts with a phone number that is in your contact list will appear on the Discover people page on your Instagram account.
Method 2: Using the “Follow and invite friends” Option
To find someone on Instagram using this option:
- Launch Instagram on your Android device
- Tap the profile icon on the bottom right side of the screen
- Tap the three horizontal bars located on the top side of the profile page
- Tap the Settings button
- On the Settings page, tap the “Follow and invite friends” button
- On the page that appears, tap “Follow contacts”. Instagram will list the usernames connected to a phone number in your contact list
- If none of the phone numbers on your contact list are on Instagram, a message that reads ‘No contacts available’ will be displayed on the screen.
Instagram is a social networking app specifically designed for publishing and sharing photos via the phone. The app also lets you share photos instantly with Facebook, Twitter, Flickr, Tumblr and Foursquare, check friend’s photos, apply filters, custom borders and Tilt-Shift blur effects, comment and enjoy your friends’ photos.