Facebook Messenger is the standalone application for Facebook users to communicate with each other – however there is a downside to the app; you can’t log out of it. Or at least there isn’t a “log out” button built inside the app itself. We’re not entirely sure why but we do know that sometimes it might be important to log out.
Whatever the reason for wanting to log out of Messenger, we do have the answer for you. It’s harder to do on iOS devices, so you can be glad that you went for Android (well done to you Android guys!). That being said, there is a way to log out if you are on an iOS device so we’ll explain that to – especially as Android users can follow that same method. Take a look below at exactly what you need to do.
This is by far the easiest method to log out of the app and can be done from virtually any Android device without any issues or version problems. If for some reason you are using an iOS device then this method is unfortunately not possible for you due to the restrictions in place on iOS. So, how is it done?
- Navigate your way to and tap on your “Settings” button.
- Tap on “Apps”.
- Find Facebook Messenger (Or Messenger depending on how it’s listed).
- Once you’ve tapped on that, you’ll be shown the information relevant to Messenger. Tap on “Storage”.
- Tap on the “Clear Data” button. This will remove any and all data related to the app itself.
After completing that, the app will log you out and remove any data associated with you and the app. If you launched the app again now then it would appear as if you are opening it for the very first time.
Method Two (iOS Users Can Do This Too!)
For this method you’ll need to have the Facebook app installed on your device and we’re going to assume you’re running the latest version. While iOS users can follow this too, we’ll be basing the method primarily on an Android device although it’s virtually the same either way. First of all you’ll want to launch your Facebook app and make sure you’re logged in with the same account that you want to disconnect from Messenger.
- Once you’ve launched the app, open the menu by tapping the three horizontal lines in the top-right hand corner. If you’re on iOS this will be the hamburger icon.
- Scroll down and tap on “Settings” or “Settings & Privacy” or something along those lines.
- Tap on the “Settings” option that is listed.
- If you’re running the latest version of Facebook then this will show you several different sections with options in each, Account Settings, Security, Privacy etc. Under security you’ll want to tap on “Security and Login”.
- There will be a section which displays where you were logged in (location and time) as well the device you signed in with. It’ll also say whether it’s the Messenger app or the general Facebook app or browser.
- You may need to tap on “See More” to get the full list. Tap the entry which says “Messenger” underneath it and you’ll have the option to log out (or report it to Facebook if you don’t recognize the location and log in).
Once you are on that screen you can simply tap log out and the app will remove you from the Messenger app. It’s a bit more long-winded than the first method so if you’re using an Android device, we suggest you stick to that one. And there you have it. Two easy ways of logging out of Facebook Messenger.
Messenger is the standalone app that Facebook released for users to communicate. The best thing about it is you can actually use it without even having a Facebook account thanks to the ability of logging in with a mobile number. The app lets you send photos, messages, videos, GIF’s can audio clips and works pretty seamlessly alongside the main Facebook app.