WhatsApp Update: You Can Now Silence a Contact or Groups Forever
Among the many features available in WhatsApp is the ability to mute contacts and groups. Muting contacts and groups mean that you can choose not to receive sound notifications or any form of notification from specific contacts and groups.
Normally, you may decide to mute specific contacts and groups in WhatsApp for 8 hours, 1 week, or 1 year. Once a contact or a group is muted, you will still receive and read the sent messages, only that you will not be notified when they come in.
A while back WhatsApp developers had promised to add an “Always” option to the muting feature. This means that WhatsApp users could be able to mute contacts and groups for more than one year. The feature has finally been released and has been included in the newest beta version of the app. The “Always” muting option replaced the “1-year” option.
For now, only users with WhatsApp beta version 22.214.171.124 will have access to the feature, while the rest will have to wait for the feature to be included in the next official version. If you have installed the newest WhatsApp beta version, you can access the new muting feature by following these steps:
- Launch the WhatsApp app by tapping on its icon
- While on the CHATS tab, scroll downwards to find the specific contact or group that you wish to mute
- Tap that contact/group to open it
- Tap the three vertical dots that appear on the top right side of the screen
- On the pop-up menu that appears, tap Mute notifications
- A pop-up menu will appear at the center of the screen, tap the “Always” option
- The selected contact/group will now be muted forever.